Custody and Support
DuPage County Family Law Attorney
With 35 years of combined experience in legal practice and law enforcement, I am uniquely qualified to protect my clients in both the civil and criminal aspects of child custody, child support, paternity and domestic violence.
If you are involved in a child custody dispute, contested modification or other family law issue affecting the relationship with your children, contact Stephen A. Brundage, Attorney at Law, for a free consultation at (630) 260-9647. Our Wheaton, Illinois, firm represents clients in DuPage, Kane and Cook counties.
FAMILY LAW ALERT: Illinois family laws changed drastically on January 1, 2016. Click here to read how child custody and visitation were affected.
Solutions in Child Custody and Child Support
Where children are involved, you need experienced legal counsel to protect your own rights and the best interests of your child. As a father of five, a former Wheaton police officer and a veteran family law attorney, I am attuned to family issues in divorce and all related legal considerations. I regularly handle negotiation of child custody agreements and visitation, fair determination of child support, modifications of orders and consensual adoptions (private placement or stepparent).
When Litigation is Necessary
Though we are adept at finding practical solutions, I vigorously and capably defend your interests in court if negotiations break down:
- Custody disputes: I present a strong, well-argued case on behalf of clients seeking or challenging motions for sole custody or joint custody, showing how the arrangement would be in the child's best interests.
- Relocation: Whether you are seeking to relocate out-of-state with the children, or trying to prevent the removal, it is critical to have experienced legal representation to protect your rights in the child custody modification hearing.
- Paternity: If parentage is contested, I represent either party in paternity testing and hearings to compel child support or visitation/joint custody.
Criminal Defense in Family and Civil Issues
My criminal law background enables me to handle the collateral issues of child custody and support:
- Failure to pay child support can result in jail, driver's license suspension, and wage garnishments or liens. I represent either party in Motion to Show Cause hearings (child support contempt proceedings).
- Interfering with visitation can result not only in contempt of court charges, but may lead a judge to alter the child custody arrangement. I represent parents and grandparents who have been refused court-ordered access to children or parents accused of interference.
Contact a child custody and child support lawyer with the experience to negotiate or litigate in accordance with your goals. Call me at (630) 260-9647 for a free initial consultation.